Saturday, May 23

Backwards to Forwards

Ride of Silence Nashville
Another Ride of Silence Nashville is in the history books, and it was another huge success! Slightly over 100 riders attended the solemn event to honor cyclists injured or killed while riding their bikes. We also had NBC's WSMV Channel 4 there reporting for their 10pm and morning newscast. It's awesome to see cycling get this greatly needed exposure. It can be strange to ride along so slow without saying a word, but I didn't hear a peep out of anyone behind me. We had riders of all ages, backgrounds and abilities. Young, old, fast and slow, everyone was represented. Go ahead and plan to attend the event in 2010, and this time I challenge everyone to bring at least one friend with them that didn't attend in 2009. Let's set a goal to reach 200 riders!

Giro d'Italia, or Giro d'America?
I think this compare and contrast is pretty funny. I don't agree with Caple's overall GC though!

Giro d' Italia - LIVE video
In case you are unaware you can watch the Giro live online at UniversalSports.com. They are about to do battle in the mountains for the final week of the Tour. Can Levi pull it off or will Menchov or Di Luca end up with pink?

Bodybuilders flee drug testers; event canceled
Not even one stayed to take the victory solo? I'm not sure it was even an option, but it sure would have made a big positive statement if just one bodybuilder could have tested clean to win alone. A nice model to point to and aspire to be had it happened, but is that even possible in the bodybuilding arena?

Ted King reflects on collegiate cycling
As a collegiate cycling coach I loved reading this article. It's important that young juniors and their parents realize that collegiate cycling is an option for their future. The sports is bigger at the college level than you think, and USA Cycling along with other key universities are placing great emphasis on its development. At road nationals a few weeks ago Mara Abbott of Columbia-High Road spoke at the awards banquet, and I'd give anything to have that speech on video or audio. Mara led Whitman College to multiple national championships and had many individual jerseys herself. If we could bottle her passion for collegiate cycling then many more kids would go that route.

BMC's wild Roubaix wildcard ride
Speaking of collegiate riders racing professionally, check out Brent Bookwalter with BMC and his Paris-Roubaix experience. Brent raced for and graduated from Lees-McRae College in North Carolina where he won well over 10 individual national championship jerseys. It was just a couple of years ago he was terrorizing the SECCC Conference. Congrats to Brent for finishing the race coming in 88th!

Interview: TIBCO’s Kat Carroll
Nashville's own Katharine Carroll fills you in on what it's like to be a professional bike racer and US National team member. I think Kat is due for a NashvilleCyclist.com diary post!

Seven Cups of Coffee a Day May Lead to Hallucinations
I swear I haven't been hearing voices.

Beware the perils of caffeine withdrawal
What a vicious cycle I have created for myself! Then again, I haven't tried something so crazy as not drinking several cups of The Breakaway Blend everyday! Because if I were to not drink my fair share in the morning then I'd better have one of these twelve amusing excuses for being late to work lined up.

It’s Time to Make a Coffee Run
Alright, I better find my triple shot espresso before today's criterium!

Cyclists at risk for bone loss
This is a good reason for everyone to get into the weight room for some strength training. Not only does weight training help promote strong bones, but it also helps to prevent injury. To add on to this study, I have read recent information that indicates the bone density of cyclists should be looked at in their arms and legs, not just their spine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home